Silicone matrices with embedded side parts, with the new cell geometry, to build foundation molds
- These are silicone matrices with the sides and the back part incorporated.
- Thus the work in the construction of a foundation mold is greatly facilitated. Making the foundation, the wax should not touch metal, as it would adhere there. This is avoided with this form of matrices.
- The silicone used has excellent release properties, therefore it is easy to remove the processed wax foundation sheet and there is no need of a release agent.
- The matrices are already cut and fit exactly in the other.
- The sides have a width of 2 cm. The sides have a thickness of 10mm and the rear side of 5mm.
- In front there is an overhang of 5 mm width and 2 mm thickness, so you can make a good flow mechanism for the wax.
- Both matrices are reinforced with a fabric of silicone, with fiberglass incorporated, to avoid the distortion when they are mounted.
- As a suggestion for the construction of the foundation mold you can use this model:
First, some colleagues will wonder why we now offer silicone matrices. The answer is quite simple.
The growing group of beekeepers, who work with small cells following the system of Ed&Dee Lusby, urgently need perfect foundation in small cell size. And above all, we can not rely on conventional wax, because almost all the wax is high contaminated by the chemicals that are applied in the bee hives. Thus every beekeeper urgently needs its ownwax cycle.
The new cell geometry
Dee Lusby writes in her webpage that one should use
foundation without pronounced cell walls.
Well I made tests and to my surprise came out the following:
I added to several hives complete supers with 11 frames. Alternating foundations with the new cell geometry and foundation like the swedish model, which has cell imprints similar to what is used anywhere. A swedish, a new one, a swedish, a new one ……. all the box like this. It was used the same wax and the same cell dimensiones between 4,8 and 4,85mm.
All this with a good nectar flow.
Next day all the hives had built combs in the frames with foundation of the new geometry and the swedish ones were not built.
In order to make it possible that every hobbyist can build his own foundation mold, we now offer silicone matrices with the new cell geometry.
Infos about our silicone matrices
- The matrices are made from a silicone which has excellent release properties.Thus, the release of the molded and cooled wax foundation sheets is unproblematic.
- available cell sizes (shrinking of wax when cooling down is taken in account):
4,87mm – 4,9mm – 5,1mm
- sizes of the matrices:
all sizes between 420mm (width) x 260mm (height)
Now we can offer special productions in 4,9mm and 5,1mm cellsize in all measures which are not bigger than 420mm width and 400mm height in the new cell geometry.
- The matrices are reinforced with a fabric mat to exclude twisting
- We offer to the matrices a gluing set with which you can stick these bombproofon aluminum or similar materials.
Video with adhesive instructions click here for german language and spanish language here.
The gluing set consists of a primer and a two-component glue with adhesiveinstructions.
- Other utensils you need to glue the matrices:
Acetone, a wide spatula and a mixing vessel for the glue, sandpaper and a cutter
- distance of the upper board to the lower board of the mold to glue thematrices is 6mm plus adhesive thickness (upper and lower together approximately 1mm) plus foundation thickness (0.7mm)The mold should have a device with which one can regulate the spacing of the upper to the lower board to change the thickness of the foundation sheets.
- all the matrices you can buy in our online shop.
Delivery about 2 weeks plus shipping time
Normalmaß (german) 350mm x 200mm 122 €
Zander (german) 400mm x 191mm 129 €
Langstroth 420mm x 200mm 139 €
Dadant Blatt 420mm x 260mm 159 €
adhesive set 39 €
other sizes on request
outside canary islands without taxes
including commercial invoice
available in our online shop